IFTA Permits

We simplify licensing, permitting and reporting, so you can keep earnings coming

Do you operate trucks that travel across different jurisdictions? If so, you probably need the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) permit, which was specifically designed to make it easier for interstate transportation carriers to pay fuel taxes. But to join IFTA, you need to get an IFTA license, and that is easier said than done.

The process requires submitting a plethora of complicated forms, quarterly reports, fuel receipts, and more. A single mistake can have you facing thousands of dollars in fines or even losing your license.

As the nation’s leading permitting provider, Simplex Group has been helping truckers with their IFTA permits for over two decades. With offices in Texas, California, Florida, and Illinois, and a network across all 50 states, we have the expertise to get your trucks on the road faster. Reach out to our team to order your permit today.

Group Of People Looking At Something Outside The Frame

What is an IFTA Permit?

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is essentially a pact between different regions, mostly U.S. states and Canadian provinces, to simplify how motor fuel taxes are paid by truckers and other commercial vehicle drivers.

Trucking companies, independent owner-operators, and interstate motor carriers, generally operate in multiple states or provinces, each with its own fuel tax rules. IFTA makes it simple by allowing you to file a single fuel tax return in your base jurisdiction, instead of having to purchase fuel trip permits in each place.

For example, if you are based in New York, but also drive through New Jersey and Pennsylvania, you do not need to file fuel tax returns in all three states. You just file in New York, and then New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania sort out the taxes among themselves.

To join the IFTA, you need to meet certain requirements related to the type of vehicle you operate. To be more specific, you must have a “qualified motor vehicle,” which is defined in one of three ways:

  • It has three or more axles, regardless of its weight
  • It has two axles and or registered gross vehicle weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds (or 11,793 kilograms)
  • It is used in combination with another vehicle, and the total weight of both exceeds 26,000 pounds (or 11,793 kilograms) in registered gross vehicle weight

Motor carriers operating a recreational vehicle (RV) are not included in this definition. However, farm vehicles, special mobile equipment, and buses can be subject to IFTA if they meet the weight or axle criteria and operate across state borders.

If your qualified motor vehicles fit one of these descriptions and you go through more than one IFTA member jurisdiction, you are eligible to apply for IFTA credentials.

Information You Need to Provide for an IFTA License

You will need:

  • EIN (Federal Employer Identification Number)
  • Legal business name and DBA (if applicable)
  • Physical and mailing addresses
  • Vehicle details, including make, model, VIN, and gross weight
  • Base jurisdiction state/province where your records are kept and vehicles registered
  • Caller name and contact information
  • Operation type (owner-operator, fleet, or lessee)
  • Fuel types (diesel fuel, gasoline, etc.)
  • Estimated annual distance per jurisdiction
  • List of states you will be operating in
  • Effective date (when the permit needs to be active)
  • Additional documents like insurance proof, business licenses (if required)

Please note that these are the most common requirements for obtaining an IFTA license, but every U.S. state or Canadian province has its own rules. You should either check with your base jurisdiction’s IFTA office for the most accurate and up-to-date information, or get in touch with us at Simplex.

Apply For Your Temporary Fuel Permit (IFTA) With Simplex

With Simplex Group by your side, IFTA compliance has never been easier. Right from the get-go, we take the hassle out of the initial registration by handling all the paperwork for you, so it is accurate and submitted on time. A permitting manager from Simplex will help you with your IFTA quarterly fuel tax reports by collecting all the necessary data and filling out the multiple forms on your behalf.

Simplex also keeps track of your fuel receipts, handles the payment of the fuel taxes to the respective states, and keeps you updated about any changes in IFTA regulations.If you have any questions about the IFTA or other special permits, or you need to talk to an expert, give us a call at 1-866-931-7990 or complete this form.